The closest stop sign is over a mile away and the first traffic light is 5+ miles down the road. A visit to the grocery store is almost 30 miles round trip. It's quiet here; just the sound of toads and coyotes at night. It seems very still, but when you look close there's always something happening. Read on about a few things we've noticed over the past few years.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

It's a bug eat bug world....

Here's a pic of a praying mantis I found up by my front door the other day.  I've seen quite a few lately, all varying in size.  This one is the California praying mantis.  Mantises are exclusively predatory feasting on insects. They ambush their prey, waiting for it to stray too near. The mantis then lashes out at remarkable speed. Prey items are caught and held securely with grasping, spiked forelegs.  What I like the most about these creatures is watching their heads swivel when I slowly wave my finger side to side in front of them...it's neat to watch them as they watch my finger move.  Of course, any harmless bug that eats other bugs is always a favorite in my book.
I found this green mantis is sitting on the bed of my truck today.

No comments:

Post a Comment