The closest stop sign is over a mile away and the first traffic light is 5+ miles down the road. A visit to the grocery store is almost 30 miles round trip. It's quiet here; just the sound of toads and coyotes at night. It seems very still, but when you look close there's always something happening. Read on about a few things we've noticed over the past few years.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Tarantula

I don't like 'em.  I know....I know.....They eat rodents, and blah blah blah.  If I find them out in a field, I leave them alone.  When I'm rolling up the garden hose to hang it up on the side of the house and I turn my head towards the house and find a tarantula 6 inches from my nose hanging on the stucco - the trantula is going to lose!  Stay off my house.  Stay out in the fields.  He ran down the stucco after I grabbed my weapon.  I snapped his last live picture before he met the bottom of my shovel.  
On another occasion - one morning I opened the door from my house into the garage, I looked down and SURPRISE, a tarantula was gazing up at me.  If I had not looked, he would have been smushed under my shoe - dead center inside the garage, no pun intended.   I can tolerate them out in the field around the house - I've done it plenty of times, I just can't bear the thought of them in or on my home.  I've toughened up a bit and I'd like to say that next time I find one, he won't become a murder victim - I'll grab a shovel and take him out to the field - I hope I can follow through on this promise - only time will tell.  Here's a little black and grey guy crossing the driveway last summer.  He was lucky enough that he lived to see another sunrise.

1 comment:

  1. when did this happen? this week??. We might have to stay in a hotel in a few weeks - shelby hates big spiders LOL

    ReplyDelete