The closest stop sign is over a mile away and the first traffic light is 5+ miles down the road. A visit to the grocery store is almost 30 miles round trip. It's quiet here; just the sound of toads and coyotes at night. It seems very still, but when you look close there's always something happening. Read on about a few things we've noticed over the past few years.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Bats

I like natures best pesticide - BATS!

We have an enclosed entry to our front door.  When we first built our house we noticed small bug excrement collecting in the outdoor entry way.  I didn't know what it was coming from. 























Then twice in one week we found a bat to be perching inside the entry way which explained the guano.  I talked to my exterminator and he said the easiest way to get rid of bats is to put in a small night light.  So now I have a sunlight sensitive nightlight plugged in at the front door and it keeps the bats away. 

During the last few nights the weather has been great so we've been out in the early evenings watching the bats chasing bugs in the last few minutes of sunset. It's really cool to watch their silhouettes against a colorful sky.  While we only see 1 or 2 bats at a time, I thought this pic was kind of cool.
While searching the internet to borrow some bat pictures I found the two strange pics below. 
While I think the bats are wrapped up cute and snuggly,
who the %&## is wrapping bats up like babies?


No comments:

Post a Comment