The closest stop sign is over a mile away and the first traffic light is 5+ miles down the road. A visit to the grocery store is almost 30 miles round trip. It's quiet here; just the sound of toads and coyotes at night. It seems very still, but when you look close there's always something happening. Read on about a few things we've noticed over the past few years.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

squeezing the bird

Late last night my husband asked me to retreive something from our back patio.  We had been entertaining the night before and a few items were left behind.  I picked up what he asked for and I noticed a crumpled party napkin sitting on the seat of a lounge chair.  Keep in mind it was quite a dark night outside.  As I grabbed the napkin, I told myself that it didn't feel like a napkin.  I dropped it and then tried again.  It still felt strange.  I decided to leave it and pick it up later during daylight. 

When I returned the next afternoon the napkin was gone.  I searched the yard to see if it had blown off the chair but there was no sign of it.  It immediately dawned on me that it was not a napkin I had grabbed.  It was a live bird that was snoozing on the chair.  I instantly realized that I had felt wings and feathers in my hand, not a napkin!   OMG!

No comments:

Post a Comment