The closest stop sign is over a mile away and the first traffic light is 5+ miles down the road. A visit to the grocery store is almost 30 miles round trip. It's quiet here; just the sound of toads and coyotes at night. It seems very still, but when you look close there's always something happening. Read on about a few things we've noticed over the past few years.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Before and After....not for the faint of heart..........

 
Now if you are a bit squeamish, you might want to skip this post.  We seem to have a large colony of toads.  On nearly any given night I can look out my window onto the porch and find one visiting.  The following day I often find their poop has been left behind.  When sweeping it out to the grass, it often disingrates and if you take a close look you can find all kind of bug carcasses.  They seem to have trouble digesting wings.  I know, this is gross - but it's my duty to report what I see.  These toads don't hop...they crawl.  I leave for work when it's still dark outside and I often see them sitting on the curb soaking up water from the sprinklers.  They sit still when I watch them but if I take my eyes off them for just a few seconds they will quickly move out of sight.   Unfortunately, with so many toads we have unintentionally squished a few.  I was surprised to find the black blood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment