The closest stop sign is over a mile away and the first traffic light is 5+ miles down the road. A visit to the grocery store is almost 30 miles round trip. It's quiet here; just the sound of toads and coyotes at night. It seems very still, but when you look close there's always something happening. Read on about a few things we've noticed over the past few years.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Great Horned Owl - what a beauty

I was working outside when I heard two crows making all kinds of racket.  I saw them dive bombing a big creature at the top of an old tree.  I grabbed my binoculars and saw it to be a very large owl.  I took the picture up above.   After watching for a while, I looked in my bird book and found this to be a GREAT HORNED OWL.  The grand-daddy of all owls.   Looking at the face, I think it kind of resembles a cat.   I was also surprised at the size of the claws.  These owls are 22" long and are found all over the U.S.  These owls eat the usual rodent, rabbit, snake, lizard, insect and are even known to regularly eat house cats and RED TAIL HAWKS.   They often take over a hawk's nest as their own to raise young.  They will pluck their own chest feathers to soften the bed.  The crow's weren't bothering the owl in the least, he/she was completely ignorning them and a few minutes later they left.  The owl hung out for about another hour.  Owl's like to perch in the same spot, so I will be watching for it.  The book said you can find regurgitated 4 inch rolls of waste of fur, feathers, and skeltons below their favorite perches.   Strangely enough I did find one recently that fit this exact description but I didn't know what to make of it.  Now I know where it came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment